Friday, December 25, 2009

Buddy Dam Ride


Heather and I love how big the sport of cycling is... It is cool how you always see racks on cars or your eye catches a road bike going by somewhere and you have to stop and watch it go by and try to make out the make and what wheel set and groupset he has on it... and it's nice that there is always somebody to ride with. The other day Heather and I planned a quick ride to the dam while Mikey watched the store for us. So we thought it would be fun to ask Amy to come with us.. she just bought a bike from
Brentwood Bike Co. She is doing a Tri in 2010. Amy is the one posing with Heather in the last post. And then Don Williams asked when we were riding via facebook and we set up a meeting place on the loop...I was looking forward to riding with Don because before I even bought my bike we were talking about the sport and how he trains and his rides and the power tap.. that will be my next post.. cuz santa won me a power tap on ebay... :)
So we got to a late start on our ride because of the store... missed our meeting with Don but I figured we would see him at the dam. Heather was looking great on the Old Blue.. her form is really coming in and is getting faster every ride... and climbing better each climb. It was fun to help Amy learn the sport, shifting strategy etc. I just hope we can be half as good as the people that taught us.
We ran into Don , he was already on is way back .. but turned to do another trip to the top of the dam with us...on the way up the dam climb .. we wanted the girls to go first but of course nobody wanted to go first.. Heather finally said forget it and took off... then Amy... it was hilarious watch her try to clip in going up hill... nice and close to falling over..but nope she stayed up ... then Don and I took off side by side.. knowing he ad to be be a lil billy goat I figured he would work me to the top.. but he spit his chain.. off.. I was happy.. I said in my head ok I got this guy now....I caught Amy first... her heart rate was like 196 ish.. she was nice and redlined about half way up.. look over my shoulder and guess who is closing fast.. yes the billy goat after putting on his chain... I was like great.. whatever I'm gong after Heather... When Don caught me (yes he is 70 lbs lighter than me lol) I said damn we aren't going to catch Heather.. that's all Don needed to hear.. he jumped out of the saddle shifted up a gear and was gone... Yes I chased using the same technique but my legs were rubber.. Don beat us all to the top .. on his second time up mind you .. Heather second me third and the lil engine that could Amy made it to the top with a heart rate of 202... nice...Heather said she wouldn't have let Don catch her if she knew what was going on behind her...she said she had some left.. that's the first time I ever heard Heather say that after climbing...
The ride back to Loard's was nice.. Heather and I practiced some pacelining and finally got Amy to lead for awhile ... the loop was 21 miles and loads of fun.
next time hopefully Chris (Amy's husband) can make it and would love to ride with Don again. It would be nice to get everybody together for a Brentwood Bike club ride on Sat. morning. I'm So thankful for the hours that I work at Fedex.and that our 13 year old is mature enough to run the store.. makes it so much easier to sneak a ride in with the short daylight hours that winter brings.

2 comments:

  1. The ride was awesome and no I never wanted to go first... didn't want to embarrass myself!! And, getting clipped in before going up that hill to the damn was awful and I kept thinking I was going to fall over, but I was determined not to. Of course, by the time I got clipped in I was shaking like a leaf and then had to climb the hill... GREAT!!! LOL. Once I started going up the hill, all I could think about was stopping!! But then I would either fall over or have to do the walk of shame to the top... no way was I going to do that!! I had a great time regardless and was very thankful to not have a heart attack!!! I appreciate all the help and the support I got from all of you, you guys are awesome. Thanks for taking me under your wing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all looked good. Very impressed with your progress.

    ReplyDelete