Friday, January 15, 2010

THURSDAY NIGHT TRACK WORKOUT


On Thursday nights Team in Training East Bay meets at Dvc college in Pleasant Hill.
This is a little hard for me because I work mornings and should be going to bed when the work out is just ending. The workouts are from 6:30 to 8 pm, and about a 40 minute drive. Coach Wayne makes it all worth it. I really enjoy listening to him explain how the body works and why we do the stretches and the strength moves we do.
Coach Wayne is an Iron man competitor. When he speaks you have no choice but to listen. He controls the room or football field, his voice bounces off all the walls. I hope I get a chance to ride with Coach Wayne before our adventure is over, I bet he can push the pace pretty good. I actually want to do a tri event because of Wayne. If he is the head coach next year we are going to do it.
Well, last night after a warm up, did some running, yes running..and I'm far from a runner. We did a 30 minute run. We did 7 intervals of 3 min. run then 1 minute walk. For any of you that do interval training you know that the 3 minutes feels like forever and the 1 minute walk feels like 10 seconds. At one point in our run, we must have been looking sorry or struggling because Coach Wayne came and ran with us and showed us some techniques to running. It made sense what he was saying, but it didn't feel like i could make my body do it, but my heart rate came down when I attempted to do it.
It's funny when Heather and I walk, I can't even come close to keeping up with her, that girl can walk. But on the run part of the intervals I feel I have a slight advantage over her. I had to throw that in because she makes me feel like a little kid when we walk together.
After our run it was time for the fun part of the night. Planks, squats, lunges, and stretching. My legs kill after Thursday nights. I guess that means I'm not doing my cross training consistent enough during the week. Dvc is a nice cork track, and I was nice and sweaty after the run. So when I was laying on the ground stretching and I got up there was a perfect sweat outline of me on the track. It was hilarious, and by the way my outline looked pretty darn good.
One of the things I remember about the night was Coach Wayne saying, I know I made you all drive here to just run for 30 minutes. It's not about the running it's about the team being together. He is so right, I love the friendships we are making with Team in Training. They said we would at the information meeting, and I was thinking yeah right just teach me how to do a century ride. But they are right we are making friendships that I hope will last for a long time.
Friday is a recovery day, a very needed one, my legs feel wasted. I rode 3 days in a row and then the track night. Saturday will be a buddy ride in Danville area. 45 miles, we are both looking forward to the ride and will update you on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I know that I tell you this in just about every post, but I love the blog. I get to hear most of what happens at these events from both you and Heather, but seeing it written down is a whole other experience. I totally feel that what you write in this blog comes straight from your heart and it shows. I am still kicking myself for not joining TNT when you guys did :( I know that it is hard work, but you make it sound like so much fun, you really are inspiring. Both of you are!! (Heather just doesn't update the blog as much)

    ReplyDelete