Sunday, February 21, 2010

70+ MILE HALF MOON BAY RIDE

THE RAIN GODS SMILED UPON US SAT. FOR OUR HALF MOON BAY RIDE WITH TEAM IN TRAINING.
I WATCHED THE WEATHER REPORT ALL WEEK AND IT SAID RAIN UNTIL THURS. IT CHANGED IN OUR FAVOR. NO RAIN BUT WAS CHILLY AT 8 AM WHEN WE STARTED THE RIDE. I DRESSED WRONG. I WORE THE WRONG GLOVES AND A WINDBREAKER. THE GLOVES HAD TO COME OFF WAY TOO HOT AND THE WINDBREAKER STAYED ON BUT I HAD A NICE SWEAT GOING ON AND GOT CHILLED EVERY TIME WE STOPPED AND HAD TO CHANGE QUICK WHEN WE GOT BACK TO THE CAR. I STILL LEARN SOMETHING EVERY TIME I GO OUT. HERE IS A LINK TO MY GARMIN UPLOAD
HALF MOON BAY GARMIN UPLOAD
I FEEL THIS WAS OUR MOST CHALLENGING RIDE SO FAR. IT WAS 70 MILES WITH 6K FEET OF CLIMBING. SOLVANG IS 103 MILES WITH 5.5K OF CLIMBING... SO I FEEL WE ARE GOING TO BE READY FOR OUR FIRST CENTURY IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.
OUR RIDE IN HALF MOON BAY WAS BEAUTIFUL. SCENERY, ROADS, AND CLIMBS. HEATHER'S GROUP TOOK MORE PICS THAN WE DID. I'M THE ONLY NERD WITH A CAMERA IN MY GROUP. I'M TOO BUSY TRYING TO BE FAST WITH THE OTHER GUYS TO TAKE OUT MY CAMERA AND BE A TOURIST. BUT I DID GET A COUPLE LIKE THIS ONE OF MY BIKE GETTING FRIENDLY WITH THE CUTE GUY'S FELT.
TEAM IN TRAINING DOES A GOOD JOB OF FINDING ROADS THAT ARE GREAT FOR RIDING. ONCE WE GOT OFF HWY.1 WE WERE ON ROADS THAT FELT LIKE A BIKE PATH. NO CARS AND WE COULD RIDE SIDE BY SIDE AND TALK, I HATE WHEN WE HAVE TO RIDE SINGLE FILE. I GET YELLED AT ALOT FOR ALWAYS TRYING TO RIDE DOUBLE WHEN IT REALLY SHOULD BE SINGLE FILE... I DON'T LIKE RULES SOMETIMES. GOT TO RUN WILL FINISH POST LATER..

1 comment:

  1. I meant to post a comment last week... but you gave me opportunity again. Some of these groups think it is pretty cool, if not religious to ride in a pace line. Each person gesturing or yelling out in turn that there is a dime size bump in the road ahead. Last week you mentioned the altercation over a pine cone... I'm with YOU on that one. A person takes on a certain amount of risk when riding in a pace line. You are intentionally placing yourself in a dangerous position. If the guy in front can and will warn you of hazards, then great, but you can't hold him liable for you riding too close.
    The roads we ride are not closed to traffic, and thus we are forced to pick the safest line along the fringe of the tarmac. In the Tours (Which many cyclists get visions of the moment they sidle up to a pace line) they get the whole road, and thus the guy in front can be followed with much greater confidence as he picks a prudent path. Secondarily, you guys are training right? So what is everyone doing lining up on your wheel to save energy???? I'll intentionally stay out of a guy's slip stream on training rides because, well, I'm training. I don't want to cheat myself the workout. (This changes if he keeps dropping me, or if I'm about to bonk.) Anyway, I may copy this to my page and expound on this later. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete